Sunday, August 30, 2009

I'm finally here..and totally having a blast

So I arrived at the Cairo International Airport Friday at 12:30pm (6:30am-NY time). I barely got any sleep on the plane because some baby in the back was crying the whole way through. Secondly, this really cute kid was sitting next to me and wouldn't let me sleep. He wanted to play with me, so I did. But then when he fell asleep, he kept kicking the whole night! I couldn't say anything because I do it too. :)

Anyway, some guy with an AUC sign got us together after we passed through Customs and got onto a bus to Zamalek. It wasn't as hot as I expected it to be. Later that day I met my roommate and she's so awesome. She almost got run over by a car some days ago until some Egyptian guy pulled her back from the cars. They went horseback riding to the Pyramids (he didn't speak a word of English--though she had the time of her life). Friday night, the international students went to the Nile on a Felucca ride which was so relaxing. The "Neel" is so beautiful.

By the way, our dorms are pretty neat. The rooms are spacious. They separate the genders, with guards for each entrance. We live in an expatty area--so guards are everywhere.

Our commute to the university is about 45 minutes each way. We were told to get onto the bus (which we take near the Nile) 7 am this morning. Though some faculty members got on that bus, even though it was for us and we were left stranded waiting for 2 hours for another bus to take us to the Uni. We finally got there..and yeah, it is in the middle of a desert. There is not much around..except the buildings they constructed for the Uni. It is massive and very nice! Though, I can't imagine dorming there..there is nothing to do in the middle of the desert. We struggled to try and get our ID cards and bus passes done. No one told us anything about the processes..so we had to try and figure it out on our own. I got nothing accomplished today except getting my Uni. e-mail created which took 3 trips back and forth from the library to the office. I met some cool Egyptian students that helped us. Hilarious people! Deciding that I would get nothing else done today, we played basketball in their huge sports complex. That was fun!

By the way--there were only clear blue skies with the sun shining directly on us at the campus. Very hot! I think I may need to buy some more sunblock!

Nonetheless, this place has been a blast to explore. Fellow students are very nice and the RA's are very cool and helpful. I really think I will enjoy my year here. I can't wait to get started on this city! The second "city that never sleeps!"

Off to explore City Stars Mall!

1 comment:

  1. hi anum! it's kinza. subscribee to meee :D http://ayycarumba.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete