Saturday, July 4, 2009

القاهرة, Here I Come..well in 55 days

A-salam-alaikum,

I started this after reading Cari Peri and Jim Franklin's blogs about their experiences in the Middle East, along with Alex Leese's who will be traveling around the same time as I am, so I thought I'd try out my own blog now too. Unfortunately, I was not able to take Webb's Mass Media and Communication in MENA class and realize the relevance now. Technology is being used in multiple platforms (from gathering support globally to simply releasing minute-by-minute updates from the elections in Iran on Twitter). We are heading in a brave, new direction. It will take much more than government Internet censorships in Iran and China to hold back these young populations from communicating the world to us.

I am 20 years old attending Dickinson College and studying at American University in Cairo (where Obama gave his historic speech last month) starting this August for a year. I am both nervous and anxious to embark on this experience. I have gone back and forth in deciding where I wanted to study abroad. As soon as I learned about AMidEast's programs (possibly to become partner programs with Dickinson College), I wanted to go to Kuwait and Jordan. But along with other factors, I decided to study in Cairo. So Alex, you will have to tell me how Jordan is! :)

So, 55 days until I'm in القاهرة. I invite you to share part of this experience with me. I will try to blog as much as possible, post pictures and keep you updated.

M'salama!

No comments:

Post a Comment